Community Support Specialist
Advancing Opportunities has openings for part-time Community Support Specialists to provide supports to people with all types of disabilities in Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, and Ocean counties.
The Support Specialist is responsible for providing direct services to individuals with developmental disabilities. This may involve one or more of the following: engaging the individual in recreation activities, assisting the individual with homework, taking the individual out of the home to participate in a recreational activity, working on communication skills, or any other type of activity deemed appropriate on the individual’s Service Plan.
- Participate in and successfully complete pre-service and in-service training sessions
- Provide direct respite care services to developmentally disabled persons, as assigned
- Work with assigned consumers, as specified in consumers’ Individual Service Plans
- Complete and submit consumer logs, incident reports, medication sheets, and other related paperwork, as required
- Work with assigned consumers and their families in an age-appropriate, respectful, and safe manner at all times
- Meet individuals’ personal needs in a manner that ensures their privacy and dignity
- Maintain strict confidentiality of assigned individuals and their families
- Work assigned respite hours, unless an emergency or illness arises.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong documentation skills
- Excellent judgment, problem solving, organizational, and time-management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with individuals with disabilities, families, co-workers, staff, supervisors, funding sources, and other social service agency personnel
- The ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Good driving record if transportation of consumer is an assigned duty.
Be prepared for your interview. Here’s a list of things you should bring.
Advancing Opportunities, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit advopps.org.