Advancing Opportunities provides a one-on-one individualized service to help parents navigate the complex maze that is special education. Using your child’s strengths and interests, a special education advocate will help design an advocacy campaign to meet his or her needs and ensure a free and appropriate education is provided. To accomplish this, an advocate will partner with a parent to engage in the following activities:
- Act as a guide through the evaluation process
- Monitor progress
- Provide technical assistance for filing complaint investigations through the New Jersey Department of Education
- Assist with mediation
- Provide information on services, modifications, and technology the district may not be aware of or share with a parent
- Obtain outcome-oriented transitional services, according to IDEA guidelines
- Attend IEP meetings
- Perform strategic planning
- Write letters
Who Is Eligible?
Services are available to families with children who meet the criteria for developmentally or intellectually disabled, at no cost to families. To find out if you child is eligible, contact the Department of Children and Families’ Children’s System of Care, at 1-877-652-7624.
For more information about working with one of Advancing Opportunities’ Special Education Advocates, call us at 888-322-1918.